Saturday, November 03, 2007

Three







Today my mom came for a quick visit to drop off some apples from one of my dad's trees and some Halloween candy for the kids. She was telling me about how Livi and Madi (my nieces) were out in front of their house trying to sell their Halloween candy! Usually Livi has a lemonade stand and Madi has a chocolate milk stand, but I guess today they were out of lemonade. Hence, the candy stand. It would probably work pretty well if every other kid in the neighborhood didn't have three pounds of candy at home as well!


This conversation brought up the time I tried to sell pet rocks out in front of my house. I guess I was about 7 or so, and I saw something about pet rocks on TV. It made me think I could make a fortune selling pet rocks to the tourists who drove passed our house while touring the Avenue of the Giants (an ancient redwood forest). Unfortunately, our house happened to be on a stretch of straight road where the forest is far away, so all the tourists sped up and flew by without even a glance at my "Pet Rocks For Sale" sign.


I also tried many summers to raise money for the Fortuna Rodeo (always a BIG goal for me) by picking and selling blackberries to the aforementioned tourists. This also was always a big flop. My friends and cousins and sister and I would spend one day picking as many berries as we could. Then, the next day we would try to sell them... but after a night in the fridge those juicy, ripe berries were always pretty soggy and most of the tourists who stopped didn't want them. It was always so tragic.


Another big letdown for raising money was the penny scramble. I would always have visions of collecting so much money I would be set for the upcoming carnival by scavenging at the penny scramble (which took place the night before the carnival's opening). I would imagine money raining down and counting up, say, $15 or $20. Of course, my total was usually around $2.50. But for some reason I always got so excited. I guess that's why some people call me 'idealistic'. Isn't that just a nice word for gullible?


So what are some of your childhood memories?


Love, Nancy

2 comments:

Cindy Anna said...

I don't think your gullible. You just try to seize an opportunity that's all. I think I tried to have a Kool Aid stand once....didn't turn out so well either. One of my childhood memories is when I picked out my very first pet. I was six and my mom's cat had 4 kittens (Persians). I looked at all of them very carefully. I tried to imagine 5 years from then and what it would look like, then I chose one of the girl kittens. I thought and thought about what I would name her. I chose Libby, short for Elizabeth from Little House on the Prairie. I loved her so much. She was 18 when she died. I visited her a few days before my mom put her to sleep. I cried the whole time I was there.

Cindy Anna said...

Goodie day is next week on the 13th I think. Don't worry, you still have plenty of time. :)