Monday, October 15, 2007

Autumn Splendor...


The weather has been entirely too unpredictable around here lately. We'll have rain, winds, fog. clouds and sun all in the space of about 3 hours. I never know what to wear, and last Friday I was especially stressed out over whether we would have to cancel our field trip to the pumpkin patch or not.
Fortunately, we decided to risk it, and it turned out to be a very pleasant day. Right after we arrived, we were herded from the bus to an area surrounded by pumpkins where our wonderful guide proceded to tell us all about pumpkins and how they grow with the help of a glass case full of dead bees and two pumpkin flowers. As we were being pelted by increasingly large raindrops she was explaining the difference between male and female flowers. You see, the female flower has a bulge at the base which turns into a pumpkin, whereas the male does not. She asks, "What do you think the male flower does?" And one of my students promptly says, "It helps get the baby out." Hmmmmm..... obviously, not quite following the conversation. Anyway, we all tramped around in the fields and picked out pumpkins to bring to school. We even had a nice snack and saw some peacocks while we were there.
Today we gave our pumpkins a bath and predicted how many unifix cubes it would take to get to the top of the stem then made a unifix cube tower and counted it.
On another topic, I have been trying to take a roll of pictures (24) each week in an effort to document our day to day life more. I took a few pictures of myself last Monday after everyone else had left for school using the timer. A problem I often have with the timer is that it focuses the camera on the background instead of on the spot where I am going. I even put a tall chair right behind where I was going to be to try to fix this, but it didn't work. So I had 3 blurry pictures of me and 2 blurry pictures of me with Pepper. I was really bummed,but I fiddled around with it to make it interesting and here it is.... Guess I'll have to keep trying!
Have a great week!
Love, Nancy

3 comments:

diane said...

Nice pumpkin photo. I'm glad the weather allowed up to visit the pumpkin patch rather than disappoint our students.

Ta ta for now,

Diane

diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Anna said...

I total dig your pumpkin pic! I think the documentation idea is really cool. It will be really nice for M and K to have when they get older. I'm realizing now that I wish there were more pics of my family when we were younger.