Saturday, March 01, 2008

Love (In the Time of Cholera)


For Christmas, sweet Cindy got me Love in the Time of Cholera (the book) which I was really dying to read. So, I started reading it (with great hopes and expectations), and almost every night I would make it about 1 and a 1/2 pages before falling asleep face down on it! I was just not engrossed! I kind of liked it. I mostly liked it. There were some parts that I liked. Overall, I found it tedious. I feel guilty about this. I like to think I have a pretty capable brain... but when faced with the cold, stark truth that I would rather read Phillippa Gregory's newest enstallment in the King Henry/Boleyn girls series than a classic piece of literature that actually won the Nobel Prize, I have to admit that my claim to being an academic is false.
Right now, I am reading The Tale of Despereaux. It won a prize, too. The Newberry Medal for excellence in children's literature. So far I like it....

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

I know exactly what you mean as the same thing happened to me when I started reading A Portrait in Sepia....There's just something so intriguing about the Tudors and Boleyns....it's like crack I tell you!