Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bad Mama

So over the course of this week, two very important people had birthdays in our house. On Monday, my baby girl turned 15. And yesterday, the boy turned 17. I had these big plans to take photos of each of them on their day, and give them cards with heart warming (yet true) sentiments of how much each of them means to me. Somehow it just didn't happen. I feel like a bad mama, a neglectful mama, a horrible mama. Considering the fact that no one has called me "mama" in this house for about 10 years, it is ironic. I feel certain that my disappointment is much greater than theirs is. There are so few living at home birthdays left to celebrate. Now, don't think I'm a total slacker.... we did go out to dinner 2 separate times to celebrate, and we had a little family party here as well, but it just doesn't feel complete. These teenage birthdays are big milestones. I want to make them memorable.

And since I don't have any current pictures, here they are circa 1995 when the boy was about 3 and the girl was just over 1. Don't worry, she dug her way out of there just fine.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Oh Nancy, I know how you feel. I was planning on doing somewhat of the same thing with the cards, but it never happened... We are not "bad mamas", we are great mamas and that's all that really matters :) Lets get together for a drink again soon!