Sunday, September 23, 2007

My sweet pup


So today was supposed to be an easy day for training.... just 5 miles.


But yesterday my sister said, I really don't want to just go 5 miles, I could do that on the treadmill.

So I said O.K. we can go farther if you want.

And she said how about 7?

And I said sure.


So this morning as I was hurrying to get ready Pepper, my sweet pup, gets so excited. Every time he sees me with my running shoes on he starts to whine and runs over to the door wagging his tail then runs back to me and licks my leg then runs back over to the door. And he keeps repeating this until I hook his leash on him or leave with out him. (Whick breaks my heart)


So today, for some reason, I decide I will bring him along on our 7 mile walk. It may have been guilt for only walking him once this week, I don't know. But whatever else it was, it was craziness. See, my sweet little pup has legs that are only about 3 inches long. And, he is desperately weird looking on the outside (due to being inbred), so who knows what deformities he may have on the inside. And, last summer when I tried to take him 3 miles on a hot day I had to carry him 1/2 way home. Of course, lately he can go 3 miles no problem, but that's only 3 miles people, not 7!


But we went, and he took off like a madman (as usual) so my sister got a side ache from pushing her 2 girls in the jogger stroller, and my legs were aching. I expected him to get tired around mile 4, especially since the sun came out, but he was such a trooper! He walked the whole way!! And when we got to the turning point for 7 miles my sister just kept on walking, so we actually went 8 miles! As we got back to the school (about 3 blocks from my house) we put him on the little girls laps, and he rode the rest of the way home like a king.


And later when we were all alone, I gave him a whole hot dog to celebrate his great accomplishment.


My sweet pup.

No comments: