Saturday, January 05, 2008

One little word

Last year I tried the "one little word" challenge from over on Ali Edward's blog. If you cannot remember, I chose "fullness". For some reason, the word lost it's meaning to me as the year went on, and I didn't get much out of it.... most likely because I didn't put much effort in!

This year I didn't expect to choose a word, but then inspiration struck... I sat and wrote trying to free my mind... you know, that stream of consciousness writing thing-y.... Here is my list:
simplify
clarify
listen
relax
gratitude
grace
forgiveness
presence
gathering
priorities
love

I wrote these words again and again on a piece of paper... waiting for the front runner to appear to me. When that didn't work, I moved to the computer thinking I'd look up quotes on "inspiration peak" until I felt that one was just right. While I was waiting for our ever so slow computer to get to "inspiration peak" my mind kept wheeling around and around and out of the abyss came the word "WELCOME". I pictured myself welcoming each day with open arms... welcoming 2008.... welcoming my family and friends into closer relationships.... welcoming Jesus into my heart yet again... welcoming challenges and discomfort and pain as an opportunity to grow. I did a search for quotes with this word in them and loved all 4 of them.... Hence, my new word for the year is "WELCOME". In celebration I made a cover for a journal of quotes and musings on my word of the year... it is my art for today.


In addition, here is one of the quotes. It is perfect.
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meaness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whomever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Beloved Persian Poet

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

Great post! I used your word on my blog tonight. It's a really awesome word...great choice!

Sooo tired. I dated melted cheese tonight...not sure if that was the greatest idea. We're having a bit of a tiff, but I am positive all will be well in the morning. :)