Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Sister's Keeper

For a few days now I have been reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It was recommended to me by my good friend Joanna, who, besides having great taste in books, is hilarious and honest and so much fun to be around. ( Hi Joanna )

Anyway, near the beginning there is a part when the mother of the girl with leukemia says, "With grim resolve I make a ballet out of rinsing the emesis basin and bringing it back. If you focus on sandbagging the beachhead, you can ignore the tsunami that's approaching. Try it any other way, and you'll go crazy."

That is such a perfect description for how we lived through the 2 and a half years that Kyla went through chemotherapy. It's a one pill at a time, one procedure at a time, one step at a time journey that you take, while never looking far enough ahead to be crushed by the "what ifs".

It's a great, great book. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.

Now, I'm off to finish the last couple of chapters, cozy in bed at 7:30.

No comments: