Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Beach



This is a shot we took at the beach while trying to get a picture for my mom's Christmas gift. I love the way Maddie is peeking around at Alivia. I love the way Livi's hair is blowing in the wind. I love how you can see how cold it is by the hunching of Kyla and Alyssa's shoulders. I even love how you can see Mason's impatience at these "weird pictures" by how he's standing.

I promised myself that when we moved back here I would spend more time at the beach. The ocean is one of the things I like best about Eureka. It's just so primal and beautiful and full of power. Will try to schedule a trip this stormy week if the bad weather lets up.

My first trip to the beach was when I was about 8 years old or so.... very late considering we lived less than an hour away.... but my parents didn't much like leaving home. Anyway, we all piled into some vehicle and drove out to Panther Gap and then to the "lost coast". I was so excited to see the waves and the sand. I really wanted to go and run in the waves like kids did on TV, but my dad would not stop the car. He said it was too windy and cold to get out. I know now that it probably was very windy and cold, and I probably would have not lasted on the sand for more than 10 minutes, but my regret at not getting to really experience the ocean that day was very great.

My own children are not the type who like to try new things very often.... especially not Mason. But, I try to expose them to life in an active way as often as possible. I want them to have as many experiences as possible.... to feel like they are living and not just observing the lives of others through that flickering window we call the TV.

No comments: