Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Books, books, books

Ever since I was a weeeeeee little girl ( I am reading and re-reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears to my class this week) I have loved books. My mom swears that I was reading by the time I was 3 years old. I remember the pleasure of sitting on my Granny's lap and being read to when I was tiny. I remember (VIVIDLY) reading the Janet and Mark books in first grade. I started chapter books in second and was engulfed in the worlds of Charlotte's Web and Little House in the Big Woods. I think I read 90% of the novels in the Scotia School library. One of the highlights of my week was when the Book Mobile parked itself in the clearing of my tiny little hometown (population 34) and I got to pick a book.

So I'm wondering why I haven't blogged about what I'm reading or what I've read and loved or what I'd like to read.......

Currently I am reading Lipstick Jihad. It is a memoir written by an Iranian American journalist. Being that I generally ignore politics, and recall almost no history, I've found it to be very informative. It's not really what I'd call riveting, however, I have almost no desire to pick it up.

The last GREAT book I read was called The Life of Pi. It is about a 16 year old Indian boy whose family is immigrating to Canada with a variety of animals from the zoo they have recently sold. The boat they are on sinks and Pi finds himself on a lifeboat with a hyena, a zebra, an orangutan and a tiger. I found it in the airport and read it while on vacation in Australia this summer. Several friends of mine were less than impressed by it, but, to me, it was FABULOUS. I loved the discussion of various religions in the beginning of the story, and the section while Pi is on the boat kept me in stitches. And the interview at the end was extremely thought provoking. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

So, tell me, what are you reading?

No comments: