Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yosemite

Today I went with Kyla's 5th grade class to Yosemite. We got to school at 6:45, the kids boarded the bus, the parents (well, the smart ones anyway!) got into their cars, and off we went. The 2 hour drive was pleasant and relaxing, and I enjoyed many beautiful views on the way there....

But of course, they were nothing compared to the beauty inside the park. I wanted to stop at least 10 times to take pictures before I was even to the meeting place, but I restrained myself.

After picking up Kyla and her friend, we boarded a bus and whisked ourselves off to the .8 mile hike to the footbridge where you can see Vernal Falls. We joined up with a few more groups and the girls all took off up the hill like they were running from a fire!! The climb was really steep, and the elevation was high.... I was wheezing so hard I thought I had developed a bad case of asthma!! Luckily they tired out quickly, and we set a more realistic pace. The views from the footbridge were gorgeous, and both Kyla and I took several pictures. One of the Dad chaperones ordered the girls to go off the bridge on the far side for more photos as the teacher had forbidden them to go past the bridge even one step. As he said, "We're here to break the rules!"

Our next stop was lunch then the Pioneer Cemetary and Yosemite Falls. The sheer force of the falling water coming off the falls was so amazing it almost knocked me off my feet... It felt like I was standing in a huge storm!!

Overall, the day was fabulous. It makes me wonder why we don't spend more time going places as a family. Although the obvious answer is that Mark is always exhausted from his current job and I am reluctant to make these excursions alone. Still, after 8 years of living in Tuolumne County, we have only visited Yosemite twice. It seems like quite a waste! I hope and pray that Mark's new job will give us the freedom to be a family who plays together again!!

No comments: