Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fasting and Feasting

Today is Ash Wednesday. I have recently begun to travel back to church. I've gone maybe 3 or 4 weeks now. It is beginning to feel familiar and comfortable. Then, the priest announced the closeness of Lent. It took me by surprise. And when I read that Ash Wednesday was a fasting day, I immediately felt a sense of discomfort. I have never felt "right" about fasting. It always put me in a bad mood. I am a stickler about eating 3 good solid meals every day. And, on fasting days, you are allowed 2 small meals (less than half a regular meal) and one regular meal. You are not allowed meat, and no snacking. To say the least, this does not fit into my regular schedule.
But, this year I prayed and prayed that I could accept the fasting and use this as an opportunity to feel a hunger for God in my life. It was the best fasting day I have experienced. I also decided on what I am going to "do" for Lent. It is pretty traditional to "give up" something....instead I am going to work on reaching out to someone each day. I will take the time to call or write or email someone I care about... someone I don't keep in regular contact with. This is my commitment for the next 40 days. So, if you are reading this and you don't want to talk to me, you'd better start screening your calls! :-)
Happy Ash Wednesday
I hope you are also experiencing a renewal in your life.
Love, Nancy

No comments: