Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A boy


There is this boy who lives in my house. He is slowly metamorphising into a man. He has hairy man legs and a deep voice. He is the tallest member of our family. But he also comes and asks me for hugs about once a week. He does not know how to put gas in the car. He generally doesn't know where he is in his new hometown. He works out everyday, but he doesn't consistently do his homework. He is getting a C in Spanish and a D in Algebra. Today he didn't walk to my classroom after school as he was supposed to. I returned to an empty classroom after my staff meeting. I cleaned up around my room and checked my voicemail. Nothing. About 15 minutes later he called and said he was "somewhere" and would call me when he was ready to go. Does he not understand what kind of fear that puts into a mother's heart? I need to know exactly where "somewhere" is... I need to have a timeline for when he will be done, and he MUST be on time. For the next 4 years, our survival depends on these boundaries.
It's going to be a long road. Wish me luck.

No comments: