Sunday, June 28, 2009

Back Home

Each year Mark and I trade off on choosing where we go on vacation. (We also go to our Cabo resort each year) This year it was my turn to choose, and about 13 months ago I booked 2 condos at the brand new, giant resort in Anaheim. My sister and her dh and 3 girls were all going with us. I have been looking forward to it for AGES. You see, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disneyland. I can't hold still when we are approaching the gate. I get all wiggly and fidgety... you know, like a 4 year old trying to wait her turn to open a present or sit on Santa's lap. As soon as we enter the park, I am off. I pass people and wind through the crowd and drag my family from attraction to attraction from the minute the park opens until it is closed. I get my money's worth. I schedule dinner while we watch the parade,so we don't lose out on any time. I plan what order we will go to each ride so that no time is wasted walking from one "land" to another. I scream on every roller coaster and get super bad butterflies in line for Splash Mountain. I have (affectionately, I think) been referred to as a "park Nazi". Once, my nephew even fell asleep on the floor at the Haunted Mansion because he was so exhausted.
So on this vacation I convinced Mark to buy us all 5 day passes. (We got them for the price of 3 day passes, so it was a good deal). By the end of the week, I was OVER Disneyland. I rode Space Mountain so many times that the last time I didn't even feel the urge to scream. I didn't get butterflies in line for Splash Mountain, in fact, I didn't even clinch my legs around the seat in front of me to insure that I wouldn't be the first person to ever fly out of a log on the big drop. I left the park willingly on several days after only 4 or 5 hours of fun. I walked past rides with no line, and didn't urge everyone to take advantage of our luck and ride it. I never watched the "Celebrate" parade. It was really sad for me that my apparent love affair with Disneyland was at an end.
Then, on our last night there, we stood among thousands of people in a huge crowd and watched the fireworks show set to music and lines from Disney movies complete with a real live Tinkerbell flying back and forth in front of the castle.
And I got goosebumps. Twice.
I wonder how long it will be before I am ready to go back?

1 comment:

diane said...

Being the same age as Disneyland, it always has held a special place in my heart. It sounds like you overdosed, but the magic returned just in time. Welcome home.