Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Shock!

So here's a quote I came across on Ali Edwards' blog:
Souza : For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This persective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one.
It's weird, because I was just beginning to feel like real life was starting. We were so settled and happy here in our new home. Of course, with 2 teenagers in the house things are always a little up in the air. I am always wondering (and worrying) what they have going on in their lives that I do not know about... But, overall, it just felt like a comfortable, mostly obstacle free, happy life.
Then, Monday happened. On Monday, Mark found out that among many other cuts at his place of work, his job was being eliminated. I was in complete and utter shock. The first words out of my mouth were actually, "You're joking." I spent most of Monday in a daze. Tuesday I was depressed and cried pretty much off and on all day. By Wednesday I had moved on to righteous indignation, and was spending most of my free time telling off all of the upper management at his company from my soapbox in my head. Today I think I am nearing acceptance. Mark, of course, has handled it all wonderfully. He keeps "looking at the bright side" and is really calm and focuses on "keeping all his options open." I actually overheard him say to someone on the phone that he is "looking at it as a new challenge." He also has a couple of different job opportunities lined up. I am really proud of him and his resilient spirit. I also worry a little that I might be married to Pollyanna! Just kidding, of course. Overall I am sure we will be fine. We will be making some changes around here to make ends meet again. I am giving up my darling Volvo. We are trying to sell our week in Cabo. I will teach summer school without using the money to buy my dream camera. There will be no more HBO. The heat has already been readjusted, so sweaters are often necessary. It's not the end of the world. We aren't moving. We aren't losing our lovely new home. We aren't selling the kids into a life of slavery. :-) So, here we are again.... only 4 short months after our last big obstacle was overcome. We ar trying to find happiness in this life. Our life.

P.S. In light of our recent upset, it would be nice if all you lurkers (like the 5 of you who actually read my blog) would come out of lurkerdom and announce yourself for me with a little comment. Especially Olivia and Veronica. I know you girls are reading this, so say something. THANKS!

2 comments:

Starla said...

So sorry to hear this but also know that the right door will open for your family

diane said...

If there is a way I can help, please let me know.

DIane