Sunday, August 20, 2006

Remembering...

Yesterday was the memorial for my 25 year old cousin, Jimmy Kasper, who died Monday in an auto accident up near Susanville. It was a really hard day.... tears, mixed with laughter, more tears, quiet remembering....

The service was held at the Weaverville Cemetary, and because Jimmy was a veteran of the Iraq War there was an honor guard there with the 3 gun salute and taps playing and everything. It is so hard to wrap your mind around the death of a man so young with so much life ahead of him. I had last seen him at Christmas, and we were laughing and talking about his apartment in Redding and his job. He was such a friendly and outgoing kid. So easy to talk to and ready to laugh. Our family will miss him so much.

That brings me to my family. I am so lucky to have a family so full of love. They welcome everyone and once you are a part of our family, you are part of us forever..... divorce, separation, whatever... they care about you and you have a place and are welcomed with open arms. I am honored to be related to each of them.

So, if you are reading this, our family needs your prayers. Most especially my Grandma, and my Aunt Toni and Uncle Kevin and Jimmy's remaining siblings, John and Katie. This tragedy has left me in shock, and I can hardly comprehend what they must be feeling.

No comments: