Friday, April 21, 2006

Why 'The Scoop'?

So, those of you who know me may be perplexed as to why I named my blog "The Scoop". Well, a few days ago I was thinking about the blog's that I like to visit on a regular basis and all of the fun and clever names that people come up with. I, of course didn't come up with anything overly clever, but it just occured to me to name it using one of my childhood nicknames. You see, my dad doesn't call anyone by their real name very often, and he's not the type of guy who would call me 'sweetie' or 'cupcake' or something. So, when I was about 10 he started calling me "Scooter McGooter". I have absolutely NO recollection of why he chose that name, but it didn't really matter because when my dad gives a nickname it doesn't often stay the same..... it inevitably morphs into something else. Soon, I was "Scoot." Scoot actually stuck for a while, but of course after awhile it became "Scoop." So, there you have it. The origin of my blog's name.

Are you THRILLED?!? I doubt it!

But what I find the most interesting is that this is one of the (dare I say, many) ways I am similar to my dad. Everyone in our family adores Pepper, our little doxie, and we all have numerous nicknames for him. But mine seem to morph into weirdness on a regular basis. I started out with Pep and Pepperoni and Baby, then Sweetie, then Tweetie, and now usually when I come home from work, the first words out of my mouth are, "Hi Tweeter, how was your day?" while I pet Pepper hello. Mason heard me say that last week and said, "Where in the world did that name come from?" Well, Mason, I wish I knew but I guess it's just part of the weird-ness that is ME!

No comments: