Thursday, April 20, 2006

Teenagers


It hits me at strange times... this realization that my children are teenagers. (OK, so if you know me, you know that Kyla is still only 12, but her behaviors are soooooooo teenage, she really has to, HAS TO, qualify!!) Tonight was one of those nights that it hit me.....

After 2 hours of errands after work, I came home to Kyla receiving calls every 5 minutes from a variety of girls. A half of an hour later she has broken down in tears... not whimpering... not whining..... full blown (dare I say hormonal) sobbing tears!! It took a while to get to the bottom of it, but finally I found that tomorrow is twin day. The goal is for everyone to pair up with someone else and dress alike. She had a plan to dress up with 3 other friends, but alas, it fell through.... and she will be a solo while the others will be triplets. I tried to talk her into calling some different friends or being a twin with her boyfriend (she has a boyfriend? you ask... I know, I know, I say while shaking my head, but that is another topic) or even being a twin with one of her American Girl dolls. But, of course, none of these ideas stopped or even slowed down the sobbing. She didn't even want a hug!!

I am at a loss. I talked to her about how it is common for girls to do these kinds of things to each other. I tried to relate to her by passing on my sage wisdom about how I had been crushed to this extreme on several occasions.... I omitted to tell her that there were many times where I was crushed to an even worse pulp by one or another heartbreaking incident! I really wish there were some way I could help her, but as a Mom of teenagers, I am realizing that I can't fix all of their hurts the way I did when they were two. The process of letting them go has begun....

And each time they grow up a little more... it makes my heart ache with the knowledge that in a few years they will be out on their own..... adults....

And that freaks me out even more than being the current mother of teenagers.

No comments: